So, you are looking to become a more nutritious person. You have probably read numerous articles on food intake, exercise, vitamins, and supplements. Have you considered what liquids you put in your body? It is not often talked about but liquids are vital for good health! You just need to make sure you are drinking the right ones!
1. You’ve heard it said, sung, and shouted from the mountain tops that water is VITAL for your health and your life. However, no matter how many times you hear it, you still have trouble keeping up with your daily water intake. There is a recommendation of eight glasses a day of water. However, you may want to drink even more. More than half of your body is made up of water so it is vital you keep replenishing your supply! A good trick is to buy yourself a giant bottle that can be refilled. You can find some that can even hold 64 fl oz. If you were to drink one 64 fl oz. bottle of water a day, you would have your eight glass recommendation fulfilled. What is nice about a refillable bottle is that it seems to beg you to refill it. So, you may find yourself drinking even more that eight glasses a day, simply because you had the bottle and thought to fill it up. This is a good thing! Try it!
2. All natural, 100% real juice is good for you. Having a glass of juice can knock out one of your needed servings of fruit per day. Keep in mind, however, that juice has a lot of sugar (even if it is natural, it is still a lot) and a large number of calories. If you’d like the sweet flavor of juice and the nutritional values from it but want to cut some calories, try mixing 3/4 of a cup of juice with 1/4 of a cup of water. You may not notice a difference in taste but there would be a 25% difference in calories!
3. Soft drinks, diet or otherwise, are not generally good for you. Especially dark colored soft drinks. It rots your teeth, has a lot of chemicals or sugar, and it has a lot of calories (if it is not diet). Try to cut back on your soda intake. It does next to nothing for you nutritionally. Don’t feel you need to cut it from your life completely. Doing so would probably just make you crave it more. Instead, limit yourself to one soft drink a week.
4. Alcohol is simply a part of life for some people. Whether it be a glass of wine with dinner or a drink with some friends after work. Red wine has shown to be healthy when consumed in moderation. Other alcohol has not proven to be the same way. That does not mean you never can drink it. Simply limit your intake and keep in mind it’s high calorie content.
5. Tea is so good for the mind and body! Green teas and black teas slowly wake you up. Chamomile and peppermint can make you relaxed and sleepy! There are teas that are meant to help with various health problems. A lot of teas have antioxidants, which are very good for you. Take time to peruse the tea section and find a few flavors that are right for you! It is especially nice to drink when you are sick.
6. Coffee is not only delicious, it is also a trend. It is easy to be roped into having more than your share of it in a day because co-workers are constantly making coffee runs. There are health benefits one can gain from coffee. However, limit yourself to one or two cups. This will allow you to sleep better at night, which is good for your body!
7. If you and your friends want to go out for a fun night, try a club soda. If that is not exciting enough for you, try to limit yourself to a glass or two of red wine. Avoid sugary mixed drinks as they have a lot of calories and do not mix well in your system. Remember, moderation is key!
Take the time to find drinks that you enjoy and that are healthy! It is important that you drink a variety of things everyday so use the above tips to help you pick the right drinks for you!