When you are new to strength training and muscle building, it can seem like there are a lot of things for you to remember and a lot of things for you to do. It can be hard at first, but if you keep the faith, you will soon gain muscle. Here are some things for you to keep in mind if you are serious about gaining muscle.
1. Start with a committed, positive mindset. Everything starts in the mind, and while you may want to see some muscle, it is important that you do the mental work first. List the reasons you want to gain muscle, so you have those reasons to fall back on when you lack motivation. Visualize yourself with the body you want. Refuse to quit and know that you will get the body you want. All of those things will make the following steps that much easier.
2. Set goals. Goals are in place because it is easy to get discouraged because you do not see results instantly. Huge muscles take hours to build. So you need to set healthy goals for yourself. Don’t try to do too much at once, or you will injure yourself and set your plans back so that you have to wait even longer for results. Give yourself something to look forward to and aspire to, and you are able to concentrate that much more.
3. Do a lot of high volume workouts. A lot of people make the mistake of training with high intensity, or a lot of weight, but when you do a lot of repetitions, you end up creating lactic acid, which is something that encourages muscle growth. Stick to medium intensity and do as many reps as you feel comfortable doing.
4. Eat enough carbs. This may seem strange to you, particularly if you are committed to a low carb diet for your weight. What you might not realize is that your body’s primary source of energy is the glucose that carbs have. If you don’t have enough energy from carbs (and you might not since your caloric needs are higher when you work out), your body starts to burn fat. If your body doesn’t have enough fat, it starts breaking down your muscles. You don’t have to run out and eat all the french bread in your local supermarket, but you do have to eat a sufficient amount of carbohydrates every day.
5. Consider supplements. You might not need them, but if you reach a plateau or want to see if you can gain muscle quicker, there are a lot of things you can try. Creatine is a common supplement that increases muscle growth and seems to work for a lot of people. If you want to try this supplement though, make sure to check with your doctor to make sure it is safe.
If you really want to build your muscles, take the tips in this article and incorporate them into your life. You will find that building muscle is much easier when you know what to do.