Many people start out with the notion of eating healthfully without really understanding the concept. The result is that they begin with some dramatically skewed diet that does not actually provide full nutrition. The ultimate result of this kind of choice is failure. When you choose a plan that does not provide for all your needs, it will surely come up wanting. How can you embark successfully on a healthy eating plan and stay motivated to continue with it for life? Read on for five great tips to help you succeed.
- Know what you are doing: Start out with an understanding of the importance of good nutrition, ample caloric intake and realistic goals. Seek out a workable nutrition plan that you can honestly follow day in and day out. Avoid plans that eliminate entire food groups or deliver woefully small numbers of calories. These will not work as a lifelong nutrition plans and may be dangerous to your health.
- Practice moderation: Remember that starving yourself will not work any better than stuffing yourself when it comes to healthful nutrition. Moderation in all things is the answer to success in healthy eating and healthy exercise. Learn about portion sizes, and provide yourself with the correct portion sizes at every meal and snack. You may be surprised to find that the correct portions of nutritionally sound foods are ample and satisfying.
- Make enjoyable substitutions: After you have been eating healthfully for a month or so, you will find that healthy eating has become an ingrained habit. If you try returning to your old habits and eating junk food, you may find that you no longer have a taste for it. Nonetheless, in the first couple of weeks you may find yourself craving junk food. When this happens, try substituting a healthful alternative that you actually enjoy, and drink a glass of water. You may find yourself perfectly satisfied. It’s not, plan a specific time to indulge in your wished treat.
- Plan ahead: You may wonder why planning your treats is helpful. When you plan what you will eat and when, you have a chance to adjust your calorie intake. Planning also allows you anticipation. This is one of the greatest pleasures in eating or, indeed, in any experience!
- Get back on the horse: Don’t let occasional lapses derail your healthy eating project. If you go out to a party and eat a whole lot of pizza, simply get right back to your program with your very next meal. Don’t starve yourself! This will surely sabotage your project. When you develop the solid habit of healthful eating, an occasional foray into junk food will not hurt you.
When you start with a good program and understand the concept of healthful eating, it makes it easier to stay motivated. Follow through by being kind to yourself and making healthy choices that you will truly enjoy. Eating well is about taking good care of yourself and not about punishment. Be kind, and eat well!