When people want to get fit, it’s difficult to know what to do. A lot of people ignore exercise, but even more of them overdo it or do it in a way that isn’t going to help them. To get fit, you need to know a few things about exercise, and this article has the information to help you.
1. Choose activities and exercise that you enjoy. There is no law stating that you need to go to the gym every day or spend a certain amount of time on a treadmill. All physical activity can help you. Simply choose something that you enjoy that gets you moving. You might enjoy swimming, or you might want to take up yoga. You might even go dancing a few times a week.
2. You need to start doing cardiovascular exercise. Whatever activity that you choose, you have to fit in some cardio. By getting your heart rate up, that’s what will start burning the fat off. Try some cardio two to three times a week.
3. Get strength training. The strength training that is commonly talked about is lifting weights, but there are other things you can do to get strength training in. For example, if you do volunteer work, you might end up lifting heavy boxes and carrying things around. You can even buy a few free weights and lift them at home.
4. Plan your exercise and put it into your schedule. When you know what kind of exercises you will be doing, you need to set up a plan. You might focus on cardio one day and go on a hike the next day. You will find that a variety of activity makes you more likely to follow through. Just make sure you stick to your plans. It is easy to get distracted with work and other things, but if you want to get fit, exercise is non-negotiable.
5. Eat a nutritious diet. Exercise is only one part of fitness. A good diet is essential to any healthy body. Eat a diet high in lean meats, whole grains, vegetables and fruits. Have some foods high in omega-3 fatty acids, which are good for the brain and cannot be produced in the body. Eat the food that will fuel your body instead of running it down. That means it’s a good idea to stay away from large amounts of junk food, including sodas and juices.
6. Drink enough water. Fitness buffs sometimes don’t realize how important water is. Over two-thirds of your body is made of water, so it is critical that you replenish your water stores. Make sure to get eight to ten glasses of water, and be sure that it is water and not a sports drink or iced tea and coffee; some of those will actually make you lose water, too.
When you want to get fit, it can be hard to know how to start. Use the tips in this article to give you a foundation so you can be a fit person for once and for all.