Whether you are trying to get fit because you want to look as good as you did on prom night or because your health is ailing, there are certain things that you must do to reach your goal. Getting fit needs both patience and discipline, but it is an admirable and achievable goal. The following article contains some of the best fitness practices to help you get what you want.
1. Exercise at least five days a week. Not only is it much easier to stick with an exercise program if it is done on a regular basis, but it will also provide you with more health benefits than sporadic bouts of activity can deliver. Also, when you exercise less often, it’s more difficult to get started each time you make an effort to do so. After all, the hardest part of going to the gym is getting there. Make exercise a part of your daily routine.
2. Be realistic about your fitness goals. If you’ve been sedentary for a while, you’re not going to be able fit into your high school jeans in time for the class reunion next week or finish the New York Marathon next month. Set small goals that are easily achieved, and eventually they will add up to a big payoff.
3. Don’t over-exercise. Yes, exercise can be overdone, even to the point where it is essentially dangerous to your health. Exercise in moderation, increasing what you can do each time until your reach the right peak for your body. There is no need to keep pushing once you’ve found the exercise pinnacle that works for you. That’s when maintenance starts.
4. If you don’t like working out, engage in recreational activities that need physical exertion. Play softball, go swimming or challenge your kids to a game of Tag. No physical activity is to be dismissed as having no fitness benefits. All physical activities will burn calories. Make it a point to stay in motion.
5. Eat right. Of course you’ve heard that before; who hasn’t? This time, though, you should pay attention. Eating lean meats, fruits and vegetables is going to make it easier to say fit, and is a definite, deciding factor of your longevity. Eat to stay fit, and live a long life.
6. Workout with a partner. You could work out with your spouse, best friend or a co-worker who shares the same fitness goal. This will help keep you motivated to lace up your running shoes or hit the gym as intended. Too many people fallf the fitness wagon because they lack motivation. You don’t have to be one of them.
Now that you’ve come to the end of this article, you can see how simple it really is to stay fit. The reason that it is so hard for many is that they make it complicated by having unrealistic expectations or exercising to the point of exhaustion. You don’t need to do that. Follow the advice you’ve just read, and you’ll be on your way to a fitter self and a better life.