Make The Most Of Your Overall Fitness Level With 5 Useful Lifestyle Enhancements
Many people approach fitness as if it were a project separate from life – rather like refurbishing an old car. The truth is, fitness is a holistic pursuit. To be fit, you must make healthful changes in every aspect of your lifestyle. Here are some good ideas for two on the right track to fitness.
1. Keep a food journal: This is especially important if you are just starting to add fitness to your whole way of life. Keeping a food journal can help you identify patterns in your eating patterns and pinpoint specific habits that you must change for better overall fitness.
2. Add lots of fresh produce to your diet: Whole, fresh fruits and vegetables should make up at least half of the food you consume. Eat as many fresh fruits and vegetables as you want. Keep yourself satisfied with ample portions of fresh produce. Additionally, one quarter of your diet should be whole grains, and one quarter should be lean protein sources.
3. Stay away from processed foods: As much as possible, eat whole, natural foods. Whenever you do buy packaged, canned or frozen foods, be sure to read the labels. Avoid artificial ingredients, artificial colors, artificial flavors and ingredients such as hydrogenated oil, and high fructose corn syrup.
4. Take a good photo of yourself every month: As you embark on your fitness journey, be sure to always be helpful and supportive to yourself. Even if you are quite overweight and out of shape to begin with, take the nicest photo of yourself you can and put it in your food journal at the beginning of your fitness project. Update this photo every month so that you can see your progress. Never let put unattractive or unflattering photos in your journal. Stay upbeat and positive from start to finish, and remember that fitness is a whole life project.
5. Keep a regular schedule: When it comes to mealtimes, exercise, rest and sleep, be sure to keep a regular schedule for the best health. It’s easier to keep track of your eating habits and to be sure that you are getting enough exercise and enough rest when you stick with a regular routine. Likewise, weigh and measured yourself on a regular weekly basis. Don’t do it any more often than that because your results will be inconclusive. The human body gains and loses as much as 2 to 3 pounds from one day to the next due to water weight gain and loss. By weighing yourself at the same time, on the same day of the week, every week, you will get more accurate results.
By paying close attention to your food intake and correcting any bad habits, being kind to yourself and recording, acknowledging and celebrating your progress, you can improve your overall health and fitness in a steady and consistent manner. The more you practice these good habits, the more they will become a part of your everyday lifestyle. Before you know it, you will simply be practicing a healthful lifestyle without ever giving it a thought!