A lot of people fear they wont be able to enjoy the same benefits of an aerobics workout as other do because of physical limitations and other concerns. There are some great solutions, however, to help even those with muscle, bone and joint damage reap the rewards a good cardiovascular workout can provide. Water aerobics is one such solution.
Water aerobics is one of the many forms of this type of workout classification. Just like its drier counterparts, this form of exercise offers benefits that are far-reaching. Any form of aerobics, in the water or without, can help lower blood pressure, increase endurance, lower cholesterol levels and even burn calories. As all these benefits are enjoyed, aerobics also helps a person get into better shape while toning muscles and reducing stress.
Water aerobics itself can include such things as choreographed routines within the water that involve gentle stretching and other movements set to music. The faster the routine gets, the faster the heart pumps and the greater the benefits reaped are. This form of exercise can even include the swimming of laps.
The benefits of water over other forms of aerobics include:
- Low impact. While water aerobics still serve to get the body moving and the blood flowing, they do so in a way that doesn’t put a lot of wear and tear on the body. The muscles and joints are buffered, which is why many health organizations recommend this type of exercise to diabetics, arthritics and so on.
- Good resistance. Although the joints are protected from the rigors of a high-impact workout, the water itself offers some great muscle toning properties. This can help with fat-burning and overall body appearance.
- Endurance increases. Water aerobics, like all forms of this type of exercise, can really help increase endurance levels. The resistance provided, coupled with the movements, can be fantastic for getting this job done quickly.
- Calorie burning. This is perhaps one of the best exercises going for helping to burn calories and in turn promote fat burning. Since the muscles are getting toned in the process, its really hard to beat one of these routines.
- Fun. When water aerobics are done in a class setting, the atmosphere can be enjoyable and relaxing.
Water aerobics provides a solid way for just about anyone to get a good workout that has lasting health benefits. Fun, enjoyable and low impact, this form of exercise is perfect for those with physical limitations and those without.